Bohol Poverty Fair 2006
Theme: A Market Place of Poverty Reduction Initiatives
October 30 – 31, 2006
Bohol Cultural Center, Tagbilaran City, Bohol, Philippines
The Provincial Government of Bohol has formulated its Program Framework for Poverty Reduction, Peace and Development. Among the key areas of concern are: understanding the poverty situation of the Province; responding to the poverty situation; capability and capacity building; and mobilizing resources for poverty reduction.
To better understand the poverty situation in the province, each of the municipalities and the capital city established its own poverty database and monitoring system using the Poverty Database Monitoring System (PDMS) or the LPRAP software to determine who the poor are, how many are they, where they are, and why they are poor. The poverty database has provided the necessary information that guide provincial and municipal policy makers and planners in determining appropriate responses to the poverty situation through programs and projects.
Cognizant of the meager financial resources of the Local Government Units of the Province, the Provincial Government of Bohol has initiated the Poverty Fair, where Municipal/City Local Government Units could display and discuss with representatives of funding donor institutions their respective projects proposed for funding assistance.
At the end of the fair, the Provincial Government and the M/CLGUs will be able to:
- sensitize donors to the poverty situation/levels of deprivation in the province; and
- gain commitment and support from probable donors for poverty projects identified by LGUs.
- Organization of the Provincial Technical Team. A Provincial Technical Team (PTT) will be organized from among the Technical Staff of the PPDO. The PTT will be divided into sub-teams to assist and review project proposal generated by the LGUs under their respective assigned cluster of municipalities.
- Identification of Committees. This activity deals with determining the different steering and working committees that will be formed to take charge of the necessary preparations under the responsibility of each concerned committee.
- Project Identification and Development. Members of the Municipal Poverty Reduction Action Teams (MPRATs) will identify and develop project proposals using the LPRAP data of the municipality. Technical personnel of NGOs operating in the municipality or cluster of municipalities will assist the MPRATs in the preparation of projects
- Organizational Meeting of Steering and Working Committees. This activity includes the identification of different national agencies, provincial line offices and Non-Government Organizations that will be involved in different committees. The Committees’ roles and responsibilities will be determined by its members during the organizational meeting that will be conducted simultaneously.
- Committee Planning and Budgeting. Each committee prepares its plan of activities (Pre-Implementation, Implementation and Post-Implementation) and corresponding budgetary requirements. These plans will be approved by the Governor or his duly authorized representative prior to their implementation.
- Plan Implementation. Each committee implements its respective plan under close supervision by the committee’s Chairperson and by the Steering Committee.
- Assessment of Plan Implementation. Periodically, the status of committee plan implementation will be assessed to determine implementation gaps and institute remedial measures.
- Poverty Fair Proper. A program will be prepared highlighting the poverty situation of Bohol using the LPRAP database. After a short program, Donors could start booth-hopping for “project-shopping”. Each LGU has a booth where they could display their poverty maps and their “menu” of LPRAP-based proposed projects and discuss them with representatives of donor institutions. Prospective projects and project donors will be identified during this activity.
- Post-Poverty Fair Assessment. This activity will be participated by different offices/agencies/NGOs that assisted in project preparation. Results of the Poverty Fair will be discussed and thresh-out succeeding activities required until project will have been submitted to donor institutions concerned.
Organization and Management
The Poverty Fair will be managed by the Provincial Poverty Reduction Action Team (PPRAT). The PPRAT will be assisted by the Project Development Unit of PPDO that will act as the Secretariat. The Head of the Secretariat will assist the PPRAT in the supervision of the day-to-day activities of the Pre-Implementation Phase, Implementation Phase and Post-Implementation Phase of the Poverty Fair.
Work-Committees will be determined and organized from among select personnel of National Government Agencies, Provincial Government Offices and Non-Government Organizations. The members of the committees will determine their respective roles and responsibilities inherent to the committee where they belong and ensure smooth implementation of plan that each committee will formulate. The Working Committees will be:
- Committee on Program and Invitation
- Committee on Food and Accommodation
- Committee on Peace and Security
- Committee on Booth Installation
- Committee on Project Preparation
- Committee on Transportation and Tours
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on Supplies and Logistics
- Committee on Documentation and Information Dissemination
- The Provincial Government will shoulder the expenses for snacks during the opening program, dinner for guests during the first night, and venue and booth rentals.
- The LGUs will take care of their respective booth displays, and food and accommodation of members of their delegation.
- Invited donors will shoulder their respective transportation fare, hotel accommodation and food, except for dinner on the night of October 30, which will be hosted by the Provincial Government.